The Friends of Karura Forest Community Forest Association
The Friends of Karura Forest is a Community Forest Association is comprised of volunteer professional Kenyans and residents committed to environmental protection and sustainable use of Kenya’s natural resources. FKF/CFA is registered under the Society’s Act of Kenya and is guided and run by an Executive Board and a tiny support staff. FKF work in the forest is enhanced by a corps of FKF Forest Scouts drawn from informal settlements that surround the forest and paid from forest entrance fees. The FKF Patrons are the late Prof. Wangari Maathai and Mrs. Alice Macaire, wife of the British High Commissioner to Kenya, 2008-12.
- Chairmain: Professor Karanja Njoroge
- Vice Chairs: Cristina Boelcke-Croze and Sharad Rao
- Treasurer: Ali Jariwalla
- Assistant Treasurer: Angelica Kamuyu
- Secretary: Katherine Kariuki
- Elected Board Members: Katherine Kariuki, Winnie Kiiru, Shalin Vora
- Board Member Association Representatives from: Muthaiga (Yashvin Shretta), Gigiri (Chantal Mariotte), Runda (Peta Meyer), Peponi Gardens (Martin Ngaruiya), Wispers Estate (Görel Day-Wilson), Huruma Vision (Pastor Sammy) and Karuma (Pastor Griffith)
Karura Forest Scouts
KFEET Education Officer: Lucy Njoka
Lucy Njoka joined Karura Forest Environmental Education Trust team in February 2012 as the Education Officer for the Karura Forest Environment Education Trust. Her main task is to host school children who visit the forest. She organises and leads walking tours to ensure that the kids’ visit to the forest is not simply recreational but emphasises environmental and civic education to inspire growing young minds to think beyond their cluttered urban environment back into nature and ecosystem services.
Lucy is a graduate of Bachelor of Environmental Sciences from Kenyatta University. She uses her position to turn into opportunity for service especially to youth and promote environmental awareness.
G4S Security Manager: Peter Njui
Peter Kioni Njui joined Friends of Karura in early November as the G4S-seconded Security, Fence and Infrastructure Manager. Peter has worked in G4S for the last 13 years. His last posting was in Kisumu as a District Manager in Systems. His duties in Karura will include
- Responsibility for reporting consolidated security incidents drawn from all other security services – KFS Forest Rangers, FKF Scouts and G4S Gate handlers
- Responsibility for all security arrangements for events, liaising closely with all security services
- Responsibility for the maintenance and operational logistics of the KFEET Centre and the forest, including supervision of KFEET facilities, repair work, parking arrangements, traffic in and out of the forest, casuals who maintain tracks
- Liaison with the Chief Scout to ensure the forest infrastructure is maintained and all security loopholes sealed. Make recommendations and supervise implementation of work necessary to maintain the forest.
- Serving as main contact with the security fence contractor and supervise maintenance and monitoring of the fence
- Managing all G4S staff