Entrances to the main section of Karura Forest (Gate letters as per Karura Forest Map):
- Gate A. Main entry off Limuru Road across from the Belgian Embassy (road access to KFEET. Centre and FKF forest office)
- Gate B. Eastern Family Trail entrance (pedestrian only) at the end of Old Kiambu Road, off Kiambu Road
- Gate C. Also known as ‘Sharks Gate’ after the nyama choma (roast meat) establishment outside the forest across the Kiambu Road. Currently only open Saturdays and Sundays. Great for biking and dog-walking.
- Gate D. Pedestrian entrance at the end of the ICRAF access lane
- Gate E. Pedestrian entrance to Sigiria section of the forest off Limuru Road (parking at Gate A)
- Gate F. Main Sigiria entrance at end of Thigiri Lane off Thigiri Ridge Road. Parking inside gate.
A newly-revised official Karura Forest Map detailing the location of the entrances is available for sale for 500/= at the gates and KFEET Centre, and can be viewed by clicking here.
BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT
To the main Forest gate (Gate A)…
Matatu (from Nairobi city centre to Belgian Embassy on Limuru Road). Numbers 11B, 106, 107, 108, 114 or 116 (southbound only). There is an excellent Digital Matatu Map of Nairobi; click here for a look.
Taxi (from centre of Nairobi): Approximate cost – KES 800 to 1,000.
To Sharks Gate (Gate C)…
Matatu (from Nariboi city centre to Kiambu via Kiambu Road). Numbers 100, 120, 121.
To the FKF forest office…
Located at KFEET Centre via main Limuru Road gate.
To the FKF administrative office…
Triad House, 83 Muthaiga Road. Situated in Mr. Shretta’s office, small annex, left of main Triad House building.
Office hours: 9:00 AM to 16:00 PM.
Accountant on duty Monday, Wednesday and Friday.